Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Puzzling Ed Plan::

I've been working for a looong time on my education plan (ed. plan) for the two years I have left at Foothill. It's so hard trying to figure out where to put in the classes. Not only do I want to only take three classes per quarter because I know that I realistically can't take four or more classes and do well in all of them, but I need to make sure I fulfill the IGETC (Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum) requirements, Associates Degree General Education requirements, and some sort of high school requirements to just say "yeah, I took high school classes." Also, I want a Video Arts Skills Certificate and I want to get an Honors Scholar Award. So, with all of these things I want to and need to do, it's extremely hard to figure out how to fit every class in. Fortunately, I'm good at solving problems. Unfortunately, I tend not to be as good at solving my own problems. But the thing is that I really had and wanted to figure this out because I wanted to see if I could start Calculus next fall instead of this spring like I had originally planned. And I needed to figure that out NOW because I needed to figure out what my plan for my classes this coming quarter! I finally dug into it and moved around and added and took out numerous classes and seminars and I did it! I even have two different paths I could take, physics or computer science and discrete math. Both of these groups of classes are for my Associates Degree in math. I also have room to switch around classes depending on when they're offered.

But... another bump! I just got an email from the math dean saying that my geometry class that I'm planning on taking this quarter is cancelled!! Aaah! But I've planned for this. I sent her an email asking if there's any way to have some kind of seminar since I think there are seven people wanting to take the class. I'm waiting for her response... if she says no then I have another just as good alternative plan: get a tutor. The good thing about having a tutor is that we can both figure out what I've learned and what I need to focus on more since I learned tons of geometry in 7th and 8th grade at Keys and I've gotten all A's in my math classes at Foothill, some of which have required me to know some geometry. Both a minus to a tutor is that I'll be alone with the person and then have no interaction with peers which I know I really need to create a good learning atmosphere for myself. I'll wait and see what the math dean at Foothill says about a proposed seminar kind of class. I know something will work out.

I feel a lot better now that I've updated my Ed Plan and I can now see that I'll be able to do all of the requirements!!

I'm excited, I like the classes that I'm going to take! : )

Now, shower and clean my room (I didn't do either of those yesterday).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home